Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Finally!

Six months ago I posted about how Twine was going to make my life easier, once I got my beta invitation.

Well, it finally came today, and I've spent the past hour and a half poking around in it.

It's definitely still in beta (real beta, not Google's "beta-in-perpetuity" beta), and the algorithms they're using to pull metadata out of free text still need some work, but I can definitely see the potential in it. But I'm not sure that I see as much potential as the stories from 6 months ago were promising. For what I'd primarily be using it for (organizing my personal research/bookmarks), Zotero has it beat by a mile at this point—and that will jump to about 10 miles once Zotero gets around to launching the server sync and recommender services that they're promising.

Ah well. I will probably play around with it a little further, as it moves out of beta into something that's actually supposed to be fully functional, to see how it winds up.

1 comment:

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

I got mine today too... Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.